The Log of the Beowulf
The crew are preparing the following equipment in preparation for exploring the alien hulk. All electronic gear in italics will need to fit into the shielded case.
- Chemical cameras, preferably with improved radiation tolerance.
- Developing equipment (perhaps turn the extra cargo space into a darkroom?)
- Good quality vac suits for those who don’t have armoured suits. Suits should conceal facial features and any specific identifying markings should be covered.
- Vacuum-tolerant adhesives. Solvent for removing adhesives after use.
- 0-G pitons, i.e. supporting rings and brackets that can be glued to surfaces.
- A Geiger counter each plus 1 or 2 spares.
- Short-range radios.
- Lots of bags and other containers for specimens.
- Airtight crates, capable of withstanding an external atmosphere with no internal pressure. Some large enough to hold an alien body.
- Sterilisation chemicals (perhaps temporarily flood the airlock with chlorine on the way in?)
- Vacuum-tolerant pens, clipboards etc.
- Halligan bars.
- 1 set of hydraulic rescue tools (‘jaws of life’).